Thursday, December 22, 2011

Maria Kisook Kim


The focus of my current work is abstract. Conceptually, it deals with the human condition. My signature style is a combination of western abstract and oriental painting which I have developed through my studies and personal experiences in both the west and the east. I usually paint with Japanese colour and mixed media, focusing on form, colour, composition, and movement. Ultimately, the materials with which I work must complement the feelings I am trying to convey.

When I move the brush across the surface of the canvas my intuition guides me. Central to my work are the spontaneous forms that appear on the canvas which I often leave unchanged. Thus, my compositions are usually subconscious renderings of genuine emotion and instinctive ideas which seem to find their own form on canvas.

The genesis of the series, “In Silence” was motivated by the spirit of creation. It began as a passageway through myriad emotions and evolved into a mixed metaphor for living my life in truth, faith, and compassion. This body of work was designed to evoke thoughtfulness and meta-cognition revealing itself through delicately applied colours and textures.

“In Silence #7:REBIRTH” represents the transition from intolerable darkness and silence through rebirth and revival. Developing the abstract requires a combined effort of intense concentration and meticulous handiwork to unite form and movement harmoniously.

I create my own canvas of several layers of Japanese paper and complete the abstract with Japanese colour and more layers of Japanese paper. The abstract is cut into various shapes and painstakingly repositioned to create a unique new image. The pieces are laid down in reaction to one another so that a natural dialogue is created, complementing the overall tenor of the piece and hopefully telling its own story.

http://www.kisookmaria.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment